🌍 Embrace Borderless Opportunities with Lexidy’s New Global Mobility Department. Learn More!

Financially Independent Person Permit in Greece

Immigration advice for Non-EU nationals seeking to live in Greece without working or being employed.

How can a lawyer help me?

Our office of Immigration experts is able to assist with the following.

We start by reviewing all documentation and advise on the appropriate residence permit depending on your case.

We can arrange for the translation and certification of documents where necessary. We offer full assistance in English, French or Italian.

Our lawyers work with the consular authorities in your home country or country of residence and arrange for an appointment while also assisting with the preparation for the interview.

We secure appointments with the Ministry of Immigration, prepare the application to be submitted and accompany you on the day of submission.

Our immigration lawyers also keep a track of your application process and collect your residence permit once it’s ready.

¨We will be with you each step of the journey.¨


What is Financially Independent Person Permit?

The Financially Independent Person permit, or FIP for short, is Greece’s version of a “Wealth Visa” program and is available to those who can show they have the means to support themselves financially while living in the country.

The permit is valid for two years and can be renewed indefinitely provided the holder continues to meet the financial requirements.

How to obtain Financially Independent Person Permit?

The applicant must appear in person at the Greek Consular Authority of their home country or country of residence and apply for the long term visa which is valid for 12 months and is issued within 10 days of application. This is called “Visa D” and the procedure also includes an interview. 

Once Visa D is granted, the applicant may enter the country and proceed with their application of a Residence Permit at the Ministry of Immigration. During this process, the applicants must provide their biometric data.

Upon application, the holder receives confirmation of submission, which is called the “blue certificate”. This automatically grants the applicant the right to enter and exit Greece as well as reside in the country until the final card is issued.

The permit card is usually delivered within one to two months from the day of application.

Who is eligible for a Financially Independent Person Permit?

To qualify for the FIP, applicants must satisfy the condition for sufficient income which is set at €2,000 per month for the main applicant. This is increased by 20% for the spouse and 15% for each child. The requirement to be financially self-sufficient can be met by each family member or collectively by all family members.

Proof of sufficient funds can be obtained through a foreign pension plan, a bank account, title deeds, lease contracts and evidence of other legal sources of income. The individual(s) must be able to show that they don’t need to work while living in Greece.

The process of getting the Financially Independent Person Permit

Leading Immigration

General Process

What do I need to do?

1. Gather the paperwork

Once you collect all documentation, our lawyers will review and arrange for their translation and certification.

2. Apply for Visa D at the Greek Embassy or Consulate

Following an appointment, the applicant must appear in person at the Greek Consular Authority in their home country or where they legally reside. They will need to file a Visa A application and attend an interview.

3. Move to Greece

If approved, you will receive a long term visa, known as Visa D, and is usually issued ten days after the appointment. It allows you to legally enter Greece.

4. Residence Permit Application

Once the entry visa has been acquired, the applicant must submit an application for the residence permit at the Ministry of Migration and Asylum. The applicant must proceed with the application and submission of biometric data within 12 months of the issuance of the visa.

How do I Renew the Financially independent Person Permit?

To renew your permit, you just need to show that you have:

  • private healthcare insurance
  • sufficient financial means to support yourself and, if applicable, family members
  • and that you have been residing in Greece for at least six months annually

The permit can be renewed for two years and our team of Greek Immigration lawyers can help you with the process.

What are the requirements?

The permit is issued to third-country nationals who can support themselves financially, as well as their family members. In order for an applicant to be eligible for this type of residence permit, they must:

  1. Receive a fixed monthly amount from a permanent source of income, such as a trust fund or retirement pension. This cannot be a salary as it could be misinterpreted that you need to work during your stay in Greece. 
  2. Have private healthcare insurance that is valid in Greece.
  3. Provide other documentation, such as a police clearance certificate and a medical certificate.
  4. In case the applicant is accompanied by family members then you will need to submit marriage and birth certificates proving the relationship.


We are a department formed by qualified legal experts who have been trained in the field of immigration law. We work on these requests every day and it’s our passion. For us, Lexidy is a way of life and what excites us the most is to be able to deliver the happiness and satisfaction of a successful immigration process. We want to help you achieve your goals and dreams.

Eleftheria Charalambous

Eleftheria Charalambous

Lawyer, Head of Athens Office
Eleni Maderaki

Eleni Maderaki

Head of Corporate Department Athens
Maria Balaoura

Maria Balaoura

Charalampos Zachariadis

Charalampos Zachariadis

Eva Kontogeorgiou

Eva Kontogeorgiou


Be happy. Join a community of satisfied and successful customers

How Can We help you?

Subscribe to our newsletter

Stay ahead of the changes that matter to you