What is Social Security Number?
The social security Number identifies the spanish citizen in his relations with the Social Security Administration.
This identification number is mandatory for any citizen who is a beneficiary of pensions, subsidies or Social Security benefits.
It is also compulsory prior to affiliation or registration with any Social Security scheme.
It is also essential when applying for inclusion in the health system, unless you do so as a beneficiary of another holder’s number (a child in relation to a parent, for example).
Why social security number is important?
The Social Security Number is transformed into an Affiliation Number when the citizen starts a work activity that determines inclusion in the Social Security System.
Characteristics of affiliation:
- It is mandatory for persons included in the system for the purposes of rights and obligations.
- It is unique and general for all the regimes of the system.
- It covers the entire life of the persons included in the system.
- It is exclusive.
How to obtain the Social Security Number?
Any citizen, employee or self-employed person who does not have a social security number may apply for a social security number.
It can be processed by the TA1 form, signed by the interested party and must be accompanied:
– National Identity Card
– Foreigner’s Card or Passport.
It can be processed in two ways:
– In person: the application and requested documentation must be presented at the General Treasury of the Social Security or the Administration of the domicile of the citizen or company, depending on the case.
– Online: by accessing, with a digital certificate, the E-Office service “Assignment of Social Security affiliation number”.
It must be applied for prior to applying for membership and registration or applying for any benefit or service.
How can a lawyer help me?
¨We will be with you each step of your journey.¨
– Immigration Team
Find your Labour Lawyer
Frequently Asked Questions
The number it does not change and it is not related to a card, it is different to get the public health card which is already related to your social security number.
You can consult it on the e-Office, using the Duplicate Affiliation Document Service
- Via SMS, if you have previously provided the Social Security General Treasury with your mobile telephone number. In this case, after requesting a code that you will receive by SMS, you can obtain, print and/or consult the duplicate showing your Social Security affiliation number immediately, and download it.
- Username + Password (permanent Cl@ve)
- With digital certificate
Finally, you can also find your Social Security affiliation number by going to any Social Security Office where they will give you the number and a duplicate affiliation document
No. The health system uses the Social Security affiliation number to issue the health card and to register the right to receive health benefits in each of the Autonomous Communities responsible for health care.
- Being the spouse of the insured individual or living with them in a relationship analogous to the conjugal relationship, constituting a common-law partnership.
- Being the ex-spouse, or being legally separated, in both cases being the responsibility of the insured individual on account of being entitled to receive maintenance.
- Being a descendent, or an equivalent individual, of the insured individual or their spouse, or their ex-spouse, even if they are legally separated, or their unmarried partner, in both cases being the responsibility of the insured individual and less than 26 years of age or, in the event of being over that age, having a recognised disability of 65% or more.
- The following individuals shall be considered to be equivalent to descendents:
- escendents and equivalent individuals shall be deemed to be the responsibility of an insured individual if they live with and depend financially on that individual.
- Minors under the legal guardianship or foster care of an insured individual, their spouse, even if they are are legally separated, or their unmarried partner, or their dependent ex-spouse, where, in this last case, the guardianship or foster care occurred before the divorce or annulment of the marriage.
- Brothers and sisters of the insured person.
- Descendents and equivalent individuals shall be deemed to be the responsibility of an insured individual if they live with and depend financially on that individual. For these purposes, the following must be taken into account:
- Unemancipated minors shall always be considered to be the responsibility of the insured individual.
- Cases of separation on account of work, studies or like circumstances shall be regarded as living with the insured individual.
- Individuals of legal age and emancipated minors shall be deemed not to depend on the insured individual financially if they have an annual income of more than double the amount of the Public Indicator of Multiple Effect Income (IPREM), also calculated annually.
The obligation to make contributions begins when work starts and does not end while the employment relationship between the employer and the worker continues. It also continues during temporary disability, risk during pregnancy, risk during breastfeeding, maternity and paternity leave and trial periods for workers.
The obligation to make contributions ends when employment ends, provided that the worker’s employment termination letter is filed within the following 3 calendar days.
If the worker’s Social Security termination is presented after the 3 day deadline, the obligation to pay contributions continues until such time as the Social Security General Treasury receives notice of the end of employment, unless the interested parties can justify that this took place at an earlier date.
Employment history reports may be obtained, including from abroad, as follows:
- It can be requested through the e-Office, in the following ways.
- Via SMS, if you have previously provided the Social Security General Treasury with your mobile telephone number. In this case, after requesting a code which you will receive via SMS, you can obtain, print and/or consult your employment history instantly on your own computer.
- You will not need a digital certificate for this option:
- In this case your Social Security Number, DNI and address must coincide with those held on the Social Security database so that the report can be sent to your place of residence in Spain as registered in our database.
- After you make your request, you will be sent a message to the email address you provided, informing you of the request status.
- 24 hours after receiving this email, you will be able to find out the status of your application through the “Consult report application status” service.
- Username+ Password (permanentCl@ve), as long as you have an active user account and a current password. To activate your user account and generate a password you will need to obtain an Activation Code in person at any Cl@ve Registry Office and you will be able to obtain, print and/or consult your employment history report at the same time as making your request, using your own computer.
- If you have a digital certificate, you will be able to obtain it directly, also using your computer.