🌍 Embrace Borderless Opportunities with Lexidy’s New Global Mobility Department. Learn More!

Simplify Your Tax Worries with Our Expert Assistance in Portugal

 It’s time to take a step back and let our team of experienced tax professionals handle everything for you.

🇪🇸 Benefits of Tax Assistance in Portugal

Contact Us

How can a lawyer help me?

It is difficult to determine if international sources of income are equivalent to Portuguese income, and paying Portuguese taxes is complicated. 

Our lawyers can assist you in obtaining a clear answer to your specific question so that you understand your tax situation in Portugal with precision.

Our tax team will analyze your situation to estimate your potential tax bill. From here we can explain how to mitigate certain situations and how you can be tax efficient while operating fully within the law. 

Our tax study has been built to enhance your confidence when relocating to or doing business in a new country. 

We are also available to help finalize your annual tax returns and address any questions you may have VAT.

We would schedule a call with you to find out more about your situation and what you are looking to understand.

Your goal may be to reduce your tax burden in Portugal, provide your remote employer with a snapshot of the implications of your move to Portugal, or understand how trusts, foreign income, or LLC partnerships are taxed in the country. 

We would be glad to provide you with a study on what the implications would be, tax-wise, if you were to establish a business in Portugal, as well as what solutions we might suggest or offer.

We will finish your tax study and send it to you within six working days after we have finished collecting all of the necessary information and clarifying any doubts we might have. 

Once the tax study has been completed, we will arrange a follow-up call to discuss it in detail and provide our recommendations for your situation while addressing your questions.

What Our Clients Are Saying

Trust our proven track record of successful tax cases in Portugal to help you optimize your taxes.

Frequently Bought Together

Non Habitual Resident

New residence in Portugal need Non Habitual Residence to benefit from tax exemptions on certain types of income, including pensions and foreign income, for a period of 10 years.

Tax ID Number (NIF - Portugal)

New residents in Portugal require a Tax ID Number (NIF) for financial transactions and compliance with tax obligations and public services access.

Registration at Social Security

Registering for social security in Portugal provides individuals and businesses with a safety net of healthcare, pensions, and other social benefits, while also ensuring compliance with Portuguese labor laws.

Our Team

We are a department formed by qualified legal experts who have been trained in the field of immigration law. We work on these requests every day and it’s our passion. For us, Lexidy is a way of life and what excites us the most is to be able to deliver the happiness and satisfaction of a successful immigration process. We want to help you achieve your goals and dreams.

Joana Mello
Head of Tax Department

Joana Mello

Head of Tax Department

Joana Mello

Joana is originally from Rio de Janeiro, but has been living in Lisbon for the last 7 years where she completed a Masters Degree in Tax Law, at Universidade Católica Portuguesa. She is specialized in international tax law, focusing on expat management. She loves assisting people who come to Portugal to facilitate their tax matters. Joana has worked at three recognized law firms in Lisbon. Languages: Portuguese, English and Spanish.

Frequently Asked Questions

You will only pay taxes in Portugal if the cost of your income is reinvoiced or paid ultimately by the Portuguese company. 

A foreign employer won’t have any direct withholding obligations in Portugal. If, however, they have a permanent establishment in Portugal, like a branch, and this deducts the cost of your salary from its Corporate Income Tax, they will be required to make withholdings on your salary. This is reflected as Personal Income Tax.

You would only have to pay Portuguese taxes on the real estate if you sell it during a tax year when you’ve been a Portuguese tax resident. 

If you have and are younger than 65 years old, you may have to pay capital gains tax. We recommend speaking with a lawyer in this scenario.

How Can We help you?

Subscribe to our newsletter

Stay ahead of the changes that matter to you