🌍 Embrace Borderless Opportunities with Lexidy’s New Global Mobility Department. Learn More!

Incredibly easy retirement in Spain

Retirement time in Spain

After a whole life of working and working and working, you are about to retire and all you want to do is rest and enjoy life for all those years you were unable. Now is your time and Spain is your place.

Apply for retirement in Spain through a special permit! This residence permit will allow you the right to reside in a sunny and friendly country. You will just need to demonstrate the availability of savings or moderate income to maintain yourself in Spain, and the disposal of health insurance for Spain. 

It might be one of the best decisions of your life to retire in Spain.

Perfect place and cost of life in Spain for retirement

Within Spanish geography, there are places that are particularly inviting for planning a dream retreat. The article mentions the Costa del Sol, the Costa de Azahar, the Costa Cantabrica or the Costa Brava, but the truth is that these favourite places are spread along the entire Mediterranean coast and part of the Atlantic coast for obvious reasons: the sun, the cost and the tranquillity are unbeatable.

Compared to most countries in the European Union and North America, Spain is quite affordable. Prices and climat make this country rank in the top of desired locations for retirement. Among other aspects, the article also mentions the low crime rate and the price of the US visa, which requires only 43,000 euros per year (around 35,000 euros) per couple to apply for it.

As for living costs, it will depend on the area where you live, such as the coast or inland or in the big capitals. As a guideline, rent for an average residence can cost anywhere from €400 in rural areas or in coastal towns. The capital cities may expect a property cost starting with €1,000 of monthly rent.

General view of catalan village. Rupit. Catalonia

Retirement Visa

The economic amount that you must prove for the application for the non-lucrative residence permit is a guideline for living in Spain. You can rest assured that if you have these amounts, you will be able to live in Spain in a more than comfortable way and you will be able to enjoy all the benefits that the country offers.

The Non-Lucrative residence permit allows you to bring your wife or registered partner and under 18 years old children. 


In order to apply for a Spanish retirement residence permit, you will only have to fulfil very simple requirements, which basically are: 

  • You must not be a citizen of a State of the European Union or of the European Economic Area. It also excludes residents of Switzerland or a relative of citizens of these countries to whom the EU regime applies.
  • You cannot have criminal records in Spain or the countries in which you have lived for the last 5 years. 
  • You cannot suffer from any of the diseases that may have serious public health repercussions in accordance with the provisions of the International Health Regulations of 2005.
  • Public or Private Health Insurance in Spain. It should be valid for the period of your residence in Spain and should be renewed automatically.
  • You have to dispose of sufficient economic means in order to be able to maintain yourself and your relatives in Spain (2.259,60 €/month per the main applicant, and 564,90 €/month for each family member going with you).
  • If the economic resources come from shares or holdings in Spanish, mixed or foreign companies located in Spain, the interested party shall certify, by means of a certificate from these companies. It should state that he or she does not carry out any work activity in said companies, and shall present a sworn statement to that effect.

The gathering of documents takes about 1 or 2 months depending on different facts. Time largely depends on the number of applicants, the speed of the public institutions to issue different certificates or apostilles. Furthermore, you will need to translate some documents by means of an authorised translator. 

Visa Application

The application has to be presented before the Spanish Consulate in your country of residence, and the Spanish administration has 3 months to resolve it, however, the resolution is granted approximately after 1 month once the application is submitted.

The health insurance policy has to cover Schengen countries. Most importantly, it has to be operated by an insurance agency authorised to operate in Spain. It has to be a health insurance policy that accredits covering assistance for prevention in diagnostic, treatment, and rehabilitation realised by medical centres. It must include general ambulatory medicine 100%, treatments 100%, hospitalisation 100% without limits or co-payments, equivalent to the Spanish Social Security System. The insurance has to cover the period of one year.

How can Lexidy help me?

At Lexidy, we will put you in contact with different collaborators we have in order to

  • Make your relocation to Spain as smooth as possible, such as:
  • Private health insurance companies
  • International Schools
  • Sworn Translators
  • Bank entities to open your bank account
  • Realtors

We can put you in contact as well with our colleagues from the Tax and Real Estate Departments so you can discuss the tax implications of your relocation or purchasing a property.

Get in touch with us and see what we can do for you. We are eager to help you establish an amicable life in Spain.

How Can We help you?

Share with friends

More To Explore

Subscribe to our newsletter

Stay ahead of the changes that matter to you

Do not hesitate to contact us

Our experts will be happy to give you a hand