Introducing Nomads Home: Lexidy’s Work From Anywhere Platform – Go Borderless Today! 🗂✅🖥
Get Permanent Residence in Spain

Our lawyers can upgrade your residency in Spain to permanent status

What is Permanent Residency?

This is a long-term residence permit that authorises the holder to reside and work in Spain indefinitely under the same conditions as Spaniards.

Currently, there are two types of long-term residence permits.

The rights are the same for both types. The only difference is that if long-term EU residence is requested, there’s the option to obtain a residence and/or a work permit in other EU countries.

How do I obtain Permanent Residency?

You must have resided legally and continuously in Spanish territory for five years.

However, this continuity is not affected by absences of up to six continuous months, provided that the total number of absences does not exceed ten months within a five-year period, or an entire year if the absences are for work-related reasons.

How can a lawyer help me?

We will be able to assist you through the whole process from the beginning until the end. We help by informing you about the documents you need, reviewing the paperwork, completing forms and filing the application via electronic means. If the long-term residence permit is granted, we help obtain a foreign ID card by securing appointments on your behalf and producing the necessary forms.

We provide a quality service with easy access to your lawyer. We try to answer all questions within 24 hours and are here to support you on every step of the process.

¨We will be with you each step of your journey.¨

– Immigration Team

What are the requirements?

Essentially, you need to prove you have resided in Spain for five continuous years. There are other exceptions, such as being born in Spain and, on reaching legal age, having legally resided continuously in Spain for at least three consecutive years before applying. There are other exceptions for those who are stateless or refugees.

Process of getting Permanent Residency

The steps towards a new life are as follows:

  • Gathering the necessary documentation.
  • Filing with the administration, which can take up to three months to make a decision.
  • After approval, you must apply for a foreign ID cards, known as a TIE. This may take 45 to 60 days to be issued.

Find your Immigration Lawyer

Laura Fusté

Head of Immigration Department

David Planes


Cristina Negro Vizoso

Mónica López

Mónica Isern López

Associate - Lawyer Immigration Department

Maximiliano Agazzi Paulet

Gabriela Baly

Gabriela Baly


Frequently Asked Questions

You can apply online. However the TIE application and permit renewal must be done in person.

You don’t need to do this for long-term residence. However, for EU long-term residence you must prove financial means and have private healthcare insurance.

If you are outside the EU for more than one consecutive year, you will lose the long-term residence permit.

However, unlike other temporary cards that cannot be recovered once lost, you can recover it very easily directly in Spain or from your country of origin.

Long-term residence doesn’t require financial means. So you don’t have to work as long as you meet the other requirements.

However, the EU long-term residence permit requires proof of sufficient financial means. In other words, you must be employed or self-employed, or have a bank certificate showing sufficient funds.

The EU long-term permit allows you to live and work in any EU country, unlike the long-term residence. If you are considering life in any other EU country, this is your option.

It typically takes three months after submitting your application.

If no reply is received during this time, it will be understood that the application has been approved by the administrative.

After this, you must visit a local police office and request your residence card in physical format.

You just need to do make an appointment at the police station to apply for your new card. You need to do this once every five years.

While, the right to reside is granted indefinitely, the officials requires the card to be updated with a new photograph and your  details.

Be happy. Join a community of satisfied and successful customers

Lexidy Legal Tech
Based on 437 reviews
Ornela Xhelili
Ornela Xhelili
16:43 14 Jun 22
Extremely helpful and professional law firm. My lawyer, David Pilar Planes, managed my immigration process that involved the conversion of an EU Permit from another member country into a Spanish residence permit, in a smooth, reliable and dedicated way. Highly recommended for anyone in need of immigration assistance in Spain.
jason B
jason B
11:49 01 Apr 22
Lexidy helped my family with a non-lucrative residence application for Spain. It was a difficult case as I am Australian, my wife Nigerian, and we applied from Ghana, however Lexidy provided an exemplary service and coordinated the application very well. Highly recommended.
Marjan Petkovski
Marjan Petkovski
14:06 16 Jul 21
I would like to highly recommend Lexidy Law Boutique to all those in need of immigration consulting and assistance.Figuring out the legal basis, requirements and rights and/or limitations coming out from a particular type of residence permit is definitively a non trivial thing to do.Things will for sure be more complicated if you need to consider your closest family members.And adding the language barrier (as we are not really fluent with the Spanish language) certainly makes things even more difficult.Thanks to Lexidy and Monica, during all of those complexities, we felt secure and we were sure that we have top professionals on our side.What sticks out as amazing to me, and at the sime time is I think instructive as what a professional behavior can be defined like, is how Monica:a. interpreted and explained all legal complexities in a way to make it understandable for usb. helped to practically go through the complicated residence application preparation with unbelievable accuracy - not one single document had to be edited/corrected and/or printed out for a second timec. answered hundred (literally, or more) of emails, with average delay of merely 1-2 hoursd. coordinated third parties on our behalf (services from official translators, embassy appointments etc.)At all times, no surprises, no new plans, just one steady, easily predictable and stress free process.No doubt - top service!Thank you Monica!!
Chris Lyon
Chris Lyon
12:43 20 Apr 21
I used Lexidy Law Boutique to process my residency application and even though it was after the Brexit deadline they took on my case and provided me with solutions to every problem. My lawyer, Monica López was amazing, any question I had she responded within the hour to put my mind at ease. She provided detailed instructions and paperwork every step of the way and I received a successful resolution to my application. I cannot thank her and the team enough for all the help they gave me and I would highly recommend them for any residence applications.
dk impprojects
dk impprojects
15:37 22 Feb 21
Lexidy law boutique services are very prompt and responsible, they created my business company in barcelona, spain. I received very good response from Maximiliano Agazzi for my residence permit issues. I am very much happy with Lexidy law boutique services.
Khoa Le
Khoa Le
11:07 28 Aug 20
Lexidy made my relocation from Vietnam to Ibiza, Spain smooth and easy!With proper guidelines provided I was able to get long-term visas for me and my family (my wife, my kid and my newborn). I am very happy and grateful to have them as my legal service. The clear communication and readiness from Max and David are very helpful to foreigners with no knowledge in Spanish like me. I can't say enough thanks for this amazing experience. Thumbs up!
Anka van Cruchten
Anka van Cruchten
14:56 30 Jul 20
We were very happy with the service from Monica and her colleagues from Lexidy Law Boutique in Barcelona.They assisted in getting a residence card for my Non EU husband.Eventhough the process was delayed by Covid 19, they managed to still get appointments.Monica is very professional and responding to all of my questions fast.I would definitely recommend Lexidy Law Boutique!

Related Services

Non-Lucrative Visa

Visa for Non-EU nationals who wish to live in Spain without performing any economic activity.
Read More

Buying a house in Spain

Visa for Non-EU nationals who wish to live in Spain without performing any economic activity.
Read More

Tax Analysis

Visa for Non-EU nationals who wish to live in Spain without performing any economic activity.
Read More

How can we help you?

Subscribe to our newsletter

Stay ahead of the changes that matter to you