🌍 Embrace Borderless Opportunities with Lexidy’s New Global Mobility Department. Learn More!


Residence permit for family reunification

While you, as the spouse, partner or general relative of an EU Citizen living in Spain, have the right to reunite with them in Spain, you are not excused from requesting the corresponding entry visa should you be from a non-EU country where one is required.

Here are some FAQs about this visa:

Who can apply for this type of visa?

This entry visa is called the residence permit for family reunification.

The following family members of Spanish-resident citizens (of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland) can apply for one:

  • Spouses
  • Stable couples
  • Descendants and those of the spouse (provided they are not separated) under 21 years of age, provided that they are economically dependent on the EU Citizen, or are incapable.
  • Direct relatives in the ascending line and those of their spouse or registered partner – when they are dependent on them.

What is the procedure?

The visa application must be submitted in person by the applicant, i.e. by the person seeking to be reunited.

In the case of minors, the application may be made by an accredited representative through Spanish power of attorney issued within the last year. This can be made without prejudice to the right of the Consular Section to require the applicant’s personal appearance.

The visa must be presented at least 15 days before the planned date of travel. Applicants for residence visas for family reunification under the community regime are exempt from the visa fee.

Upon receipt of the documentation, the Consular Section may require the applicant to appear at a later time. At that time, and based on a more detailed examination of the documentation, a personal interview may be requested – or there may be a request for additional documentation.

Failure to appear will have the effect that the person concerned is considered withdrawn from the proceedings.

The applicant must provide an original and simple copy of all documentation.

Can Lexidy help me get a residence permit for family reunification?

For more details on the specific documentation for each case, do not hesitate to contact us. We are able to assist you with figuring out the exact documents needed and to make sure that they are fit to be presented before the authorities in order to maximize the chances of success.

If you’d like a free consultation on this topic then get in touch using the form below:

How Can We help you?

Share with friends

More To Explore

Subscribe to our newsletter

Stay ahead of the changes that matter to you

Do not hesitate to contact us

Our experts will be happy to give you a hand