Mónica Isern López
Mònica studied law at the Pompeu Fabra University and is now a member of the Barcelona Bar Association (ICAB) since June 2018. At Lexidy, she practices law in the Immigration Department.
Languages: Catalan, Spanish, English. Contact Mònica at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is your driver’s license valid in Spain?
So, you finally got your residence permit in Spain. But, you want to get behind the wheel! How do you make a driver’s license exchange for a Spanish equivalent?
We have the answers.
You’re Driver’s License is Valid If:
- The license was obtained in a nation belonging to the European Union or European Economic Area. This includes European nations, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and more.
- You are from a country whose driver’s licenses are issued in accordance to certain sections of the Geneva, Vienna, and Paris International Conventions. It is important that you understand the rules behind your license. Lexidy’s lawyers are well-versed in these rules. Speak with one of them to learn more about your particular documentation.
- The license you currently have is in Spanish or accompanied by an official translation. This will make it easier to understand and compare to the Spanish driver’s license options.
Each of these characteristics make a driver’s license exchange valid in Spain. If you do not fall into any of these categories, speak with an expert immigration lawyer to explore your options.
But, there are conditions:
- You must also consider the age restrictions and how they differ from your previous place of residence. Although you may be able to drive legally in another country, it is a possibility that you will have to wait until you are eligible in Spain.
- Regardless of where your license was issued, you will not be able to exchange it in Spain if it is currently restricted, suspended, or withdrawn. This will require further action.
- If you have acquired a normal residence in Spain, you will be subject to the Spanish provisions. These provisions will be based on the period of validity, the control of their psycho-physical aptitudes, and the allocation of a credit of points.
- You should also know that there is a six month maximum period that begins once you obtain your normal residence in Spain. Once this deadline has passed, it can be difficult to go through a driver’s license exchange to obtain one similar to your foreign equivalent.
You need a Driver’s License Exchange If:
- ou wish to continue driving. After checking the requirements and passing the corresponding tests, you must obtain a Spanish permit. The only exception would be an agreement with the country that issued the permit.
- You are now a resident of Spain, so you should be able to drive here, too! Your relocation isn’t fully complete until you make your driver’s license exchange.
How can Lexidy help?
Are you still not sure if you need a driver’s license exchange? Lexidy is here to help you with everything you need… Speak with an expert immigration lawyer and discover whether or not your license is valid in Spain. Everyone’s situation is different. You could be able to simply make the driver’s license exchange, or you may be stuck in a slightly lengthier scenario. Either way, they will get you driving again!