Introducing Nomads Home: Lexidy’s Work From Anywhere Platform – Go Borderless Today! 🗂✅🖥

Student Visa in Spain

What is a Student Visa?

A student visa is a permit that allows you to stay and study in Spain for the duration of the course. It is renewable annually and after three years of study, you can exchange your student visa for a work permit.

The time spent studying doesn’t count towards the criteria for applying for a residence permit or Spanish nationality.

How do I obtain a Student Visa in Spain?

The application should be filed with the Consulate in the applicant’s country of residence. They have up to three months to approve the application but they typically act faster.

You can also apply online, if you are legally in Spain under a tourist visa or a Schengen Visa. You must apply at least 30 days before the end of your legal stay.

Your application will also require a letter of admission from the academic institution, as well as proof of payment for tuition fees. Additional documents, like a study plan or proof of previous qualifications, may also be required.

This visa also requires the applicant to have sufficient financial means, as shown below:

  • €564.90 a month for an individual
  • €282.45 a month for each family individual

How can a lawyer help me?

An experienced lawyer will guide you through this process by reviewing  documentation and assessing whether it meets the requirements to secure this visa. We also work with sworn translators, insurance companies and submit applications as the legal representative, so that you can avoid lengthy and expensive face-to-face procedures.

You will only have to gather the documents that we request. We will review the documents for you and complete any forms, including those in Spanish on your behalf. Working with us saves you time and money.

¨We will be with you each step of your journey.¨

– Immigration Team

Lexidy is a modern, dynamic, and innovative law firm. We always put customers at the center of our work and do our best to give an exceptional experience. Our expertise in Spain and Portugal allows us to solve complex problems thoroughly and cut all the risks before they may happen.
The number of Golden Visas issued with us
How many clients we assisted in 2020
Our average score from 300 reviews

Process of getting a student visa

Firstly, you need to gather all necessary documentation. This includes background checks, certificates, proof of economic means and health insurance. You may also need to have sworn translations of the documents when applicable.

The next steps would depend on the place of submission:

a) With the Consulate in your home country: Schedule an appointed with the consulate and file the required documentation. They will assess your application and provide you with an answer within 20 to 30 days.

If the visa is granted, you must visit the Consulate again to have your entry visa stamped on your passport.

Following the Coronavirus pandemic, some Consulates now allow postal and email submissions, while others offer to keep your passport while they assess your application. This saves time if the visa is granted because you can just collect the passport with the visa already stamped.

b) With the Spanish authorities while legally in Spain: Here, we submit the application digitally with our digital certificate as long as there are at least 30 days or more left of your legal stay, using scanned copies of all documents.

The Administration takes around 20 to 30 days to resolve your application.

In all cases, if the visa is granted, you must apply for a foreign ID card, known as a TIE if your stay is longer than six months.

Find your Immigration Lawyer

Laura Fusté - Lexidy TechBoutique

Laura Fusté

Head of Immigration Department
David Planes - Lexidy TechBoutique

David Planes


Cristina Negro Vizoso

Mónica López - Lexidy TechBoutique

Mónica Isern López

Associate - Lawyer Immigration Department
Maximiliano Agazzi - Lexidy TechBoutique

Maximiliano Agazzi Paulet

Gabriela Baly

Gabriela Baly

Francesca Coluccio

Francesca Coluccio

Luisa Rivera

Luisa Rivera

Paola Cavalleri

Paola Cavalleri


Frequently Asked Questions

You can either apply with the Consulate of your legal place of residence or from within Spanish territory.

You can if you pass your exams and if there’s continuity between your previous and new study. If you change schools, you must be sure that you are going to proceed with the same activities for which you were initially authorised.

The application deadline for your visa renewal is 60 days before your current visa expiration date. However, the application may also be submitted within 90 calendar days thereafter, without prejudice or penalties.

Here there is no continuity of study, so you would need to apply for a new Student Visa and submit again the relevant documents. Nonetheless, you can do so during your previous student visa validity as long as there are still 30 days left of its validity.

This is a possibility within the requirement to show sufficient economic resources. We could provide you with a responsible declaration and would also need some information and documents from your parents.

No, you can submit bank documents from anywhere where you or your parents have a bank account. However, the documentation may need to be translated into Spanish for submission.

This can depend on the Consulate you apply before.  Proof of residence is not legally required but highly recommended. Usually you can use proof of reservation for the college residence or a temporary lease.

The legal minimum is to show proof of economic means and, for example, cover accommodation expenses.

You can apply for a Student Visa for minor studies, like languages or short courses. The permit is valid for the specific duration of the language course.

Initially no, but you can apply for work authorisation while on a Student Visa for up to 20 hours a week. You would not be considered an employee as you would not hold a work permit, but you can take internships and practical positions.

If you have stayed in Spain under this type of visa for at least three years, you can modify it into a residence and work permit. You can be an employee if a company is ready to hire you or you can be self-employed if you want to incorporate your own business.

If you have not yet stayed that long, you would have the option to apply for a residence permit for training and research, for a residence permit to seek employment or undertake a business project, or for a residence permit for internships, given that your course meets the requirements and so do you personally.

The time counts towards the permanent residence application but is halved. So, a two-year stay is counted as one year. It does not count towards the term required to legally reside and obtain a Spanish passport.

Be happy. Join a community of satisfied and successful customers

Lexidy Legal Tech
Based on 447 reviews
Vincent Crudden
Vincent Crudden
14:49 06 Oct 20
Used Lexidy Law for my EU Registry Certificate and NIE number. Also for my registration with the Town Hall. My contact at the firm was Laura Fuste. Very knowledgeable, responsive, and professional. Helped me navigate with having a staff member present with me at the various appointments which was extremely helpful to me as I am a beginner student of the Spanish language. Highly recommend.

Related Services

Non-Lucrative Visa

Visa for Non-EU nationals who wish to live in Spain without performing any economic activity.
Read More

Buying a house in Spain

Visa for Non-EU nationals who wish to live in Spain without performing any economic activity.
Read More

Tax Analysis

Visa for Non-EU nationals who wish to live in Spain without performing any economic activity.
Read More

How can we help you?

Subscribe to our newsletter

Stay ahead of the updates that matter to you