🌍 Embrace Borderless Opportunities with Lexidy’s New Global Mobility Department. Learn More!

Broaden Your Horizons By Studying in Spain 

This is one reasons why so many study in Spain

The years you spend at College or University are among the best of your life. There’s meeting new people, living away from home and learning lots of new things. You should consider joining the thousands each year who study in Spain.

Beyond studying, lectures and libraries, a college education rich experience of learning and one way to enhance that is taking the opportunity to study abroad. But, of course, there are huge differences, like languages, and smaller ones like customs.

For example, the national language in Spain is obviously Spanish, but there are four other official languages. There’s also the custom that dinner starts no early than 9:30 pm. Elsewhere in Europe, people have one eye on sleep at this time.

If you are planning to study abroad then Universities in Spain should be on your shortlist. The country has some of the best public and private universities in the world from business schools Esade in Barcelona and Universidad Autónoma de Madrid in the country’s capital to Spanish language schools. 

Studying abroad can feel like a fish out of water. Sometimes you can feel out of place with day-to-day activities, never mind visas, permits and registrations. But don’t worry, this blog will help you understand how to apply for a Student Visa in Spain and expose yourself to a whole new world of learning and experiences.

How to apply to Study in Spain:

  1. Find a course of study that interests you at a university or college you like
  1. An application requires a letter of admission from the academic institution and proof of payment for tuition fees. Sometimes you will also need a study plan or evidence of previous qualifications. 
  1. You will also need to show sufficient financial means to support yourself. This is €579.02 a month for an individual and €289.51 for each family member. 

The Student Visa is valid for one year, or less if it’s required for a shorter course. It is renewable if you continue with your originally intended studies. This is one reason why so many study in Spain

What about changing my course of study in Spain?

However, if you wish to change your course of study or complete your undergraduate studies and apply for a Master’s course, you will need to apply for a new student visa. 

Meet the deadline

The deadline to renew your Student Visa is 60 days before the expiry date on your existing Student Visa. You can submit applications up to 90 days after it expires, but the immigration officials can impose penalties for this. 

Financials means and documents: 

You will need to show that you have €7,000 in your bank account. If you don’t have this, you can provide bank statements from your parent’s bank account with a signed affidavit saying that they are committed to supporting you for the duration of your studies in Spain.

You will also need to show the immigration officials that you have full healthcare insurance. However, this cannot be from your home country. 

If your previous Student Visa was for six months or fewer, you would need to present a criminal record certificate from all the countries you have resided in the last five years.  These documents must be legalized and translated by a sworn translator.

Submit the Renewal:

The final step is submitting the application with the forms and fees to your local Spanish Immigration Office.

After a few weeks, the Spanish Authorities will usually approve the extension of your stay in Spain, and you can return to your everyday life in Spain for the following year. You will be able to continue travelling throughout Europe as a tourist without requiring a visa for up to 90 days every 180 days.

Student visa renewal in Spain doesn’t have to be difficult. However, we are here to ensure that you continue your education and become the best version of yourself. We handle short-term Student Visa applications as well as long-term student visa requests.

If you decide that you want to live and work in the country during your study in Spain, you can modify the Student Visa into a residence and work permit. Also, the Student Visa counts towards the qualification criteria for EU Long-Term Residence but is halved. So, a four-year stay is counted as two years. This is another reason why so many study in Spain

The team at Lexidy LegalTech Boutique can support you if you plan to change your course of study or are planning to continue your undergraduate stay and pursue a Master’s. Our legal experts can also help you obtain work permits after completing your studies and even get a Permanent Residence Permit. Speak with the team today.

How Can We help you?

Share with friends

More To Explore

Subscribe to our newsletter

Stay ahead of the changes that matter to you

Do not hesitate to contact us

Our experts will be happy to give you a hand