🌍 Embrace Borderless Opportunities with Lexidy’s New Global Mobility Department. Learn More!

Post Holiday Spain Return Authorisation Permit



Have you recently applied for your Foreigner Identity Card and you want to leave Spain for Holidays? In this case you could be able to obtain the Return Authorisation. This authorisation will allow you to travel abroad and be able to re-enter to Spain, even if you have not yet obtained your physical Foreigner Identity Card. If you have already successfully applied for your Foreigner Identity Card and have not yet obtained it, you will be able to apply for a return authorisation.

General Requirements for Return Authorisation 

As a general rule, the return authorisation can be requested by those who meet the following requirements.

  1. To be the holder of a residence or stay permit and to have initiated the procedures for the issuance, renewal or extension of the permit that entitles him to stay in Spain within the legal period.
  2. To be the holder of a valid foreigner’s identity card and to have submitted a request for a duplicate of the card due to theft, loss, destruction or disuse.
  3. Proof that the trip responds to a situation of necessity and exceptional reasons and have the initial authorization for residence or stay resolved favourably and have the issuance of the foreigner’s identity card in process.

The return authorisation will be valid for no more than 90 days.

Holidays Special Situation

Without prejudice to the above, given the dates, it will not be necessary to request a return authorisation and therefore prove the circumstances of urgency. It is not necessary to process and request a return authorisation in the following cases

    • If you are going to return to Spain between November 11, 2019 and January 12, 2020
    • You are not travelling by plane
    • And you find yourself in one of these scenarios:
      • You’re in the process of renewing your authorization.
      • The renewal has been granted and the date to apply for the physical card, i.e. to carry out the fingerprint procedure, is after the date of your entry into Spain.
  • You have been granted renewal, you have made the fingerprint request and the date to pick up your physical Foreigner Identity Card is after the date of your departure from Spain.

The following documentation must be carried when trying to cross the border:

  • Passport in force
  • Old and expired Foreigners’ Identity Card
  • Renewal receipt

Please note that this situation only allows you to enter Spain by road or seaport and only for Spain. This special situation does not allow you to cross the border of other countries in the Schenghen area.

How can Lexidy help me?

At Lexidy we can assist you with all the steps of the application for the Return Authorisation. Get in touch with us and see what we can do for you. We are eager to help you get established and enjoy your golden years in Spain.

How Can We help you?

Share with friends

More To Explore

Subscribe to our newsletter

Stay ahead of the changes that matter to you

Do not hesitate to contact us

Our experts will be happy to give you a hand