🌍 Embrace Borderless Opportunities with Lexidy’s New Global Mobility Department. Learn More!

Marriage has become easier in Spain (Marriage File Notary)


Are you a non-EU Citizen and your partner is a European citizen and you want to apply for the Residence Card for Family Members of EU Citizens but the conditions to become a stable couple in your Autonomous Community are very complicated? Would you prefer to get married but the Civil Registry Office gives you an appointment for 10 months from now? Thanks to a new reform of Spanish law, the process has been speeded up so that getting married is no longer a bureaucratic fight that lasts months.

In Spain, in order to get married, before the ceremony, it is compulsory to obtain the marriage file that certifies that you meet the requirements to get married. Until now, it was only possible to obtain this file at the Civil Registry of your address but now it is possible to obtain it at any notary in Spain, speeding up the process from months to days. 


What documentation do I need to bring with me to get married before a notary? In principle, you will need the following documents:

  • ID of both parties
  • Birth certificate of each of the members of the couple.
  • Certificate of historical town census registration.
  • Judicial testimony, the final order of approval of the marriage file. This may now be processed before a notary.
  • If one of the members of the couple had previously been married, a literal marriage certificate will be required, stating that they are divorced or their marriage has been declared null and void, or in the case of death in the event that the other spouse is deceased. The divorce certificate does not exist in Spain, you will have to ask for the marriage certificate and it will state the current state of the marriage, whether married, separated, divorced, etc. Foreign couples are required to provide a single status certificate.
  • We remind you that if any of the contracting parties is a foreign citizen, he/she must also provide the Certificate of the need for publication of edicts. This document must be obtained from the Consulate of their country in Spain.

We would also like to remind you that all the documentation that has been processed abroad must be correctly apostilled or legalised and, if necessary, correctly translated by an authorised sworn translator.


Unlike what happened until now, if you wanted to get married, you needed to go to the Civil Registry Office that corresponds to your address, however, from now on, if you want to get married before a notary, you can do so at any notary of your choice.

In this sense, you can get married at your trusted notary or any notary of your choice. In this sense, there is no limitation.

This is great news that can be a great advantage for all those people who want to get married, and who will be able to finish the process in a few weeks. This also opens up the possibility that if you have a foreign partner, he or she will be able to access the Residence Card for Family Members of EU Citizen earlier.

How can Lexidy help me?

At Lexidy we can clarify any doubt you may have regarding the application for family reunification residence permits and we can assist you to prepare the marriage file and the Residence Card of EU Citizens in Spain. Get in touch with us and see what we can do for you. We are eager to help you to set up a company in Spain.

How Can We help you?

Share with friends

More To Explore

Subscribe to our newsletter

Stay ahead of the changes that matter to you

Do not hesitate to contact us

Our experts will be happy to give you a hand