Business Activity Residence Permit

Immigration advice for Non-EU nationals who wish to get the Self Employed Business Permit to live in Spain.

Limitless ability to perform the business activity in Spain.

If you have an idea of a business that you wish to establish in Spain, we would be pleased to assist you in order to advise you with the process of getting the Self Employed Business Permit.

Enjoy stressless relocation with our help

What is a Self Employed Business Permit?

Whether you plan on working as a freelancer or setting up your own company, you will be able to carry out your desired activity from Spain and register with the Spanish Social Security as such.

You will need to demonstrate the viability of your project in Spain by means of a business plan and if you want to incorporate a company, it must already be registered in the Commercial Register. Our Mercantile Department can help you set up the company remotely by means of a simple power of attorney before you move to Spain.

Read our frequently asked questions, we could have answered your question already?

Need Visa Renewal?

Once the residence permit has been granted, when renewing after one year you will need to prove that your activity as a self-employed professional or your company has been active and that you have no debts with the Tax Agency and the Social Security. 

In addition, you must prove that your passport does not contain any absences for periods of more than 183 days outside Spain.


The experience of our lawyers can speed up the procedure to apply for the visa or residence authorization since they have specific information about the process to be completed. We also fill in all the necessary forms on your behalf and review the documents to see if they meet the requirements.  We can put you in touch with our partners such as contacts who will be able to draw up your business plan, juror translators or international schools.

Full assistance in Spanish, English, French or Italian.

How we work with Golden Visa

  1. Authorisation
  2. Visa Application 
  3. Registration with Spanish Social Security 
  4. Obtaining a Foreign Identity card
  5. Helping accompanying family members (optional)

Find your Immigration Lawyer

Laura Fusté Immigration Lawyer at Lexidy

Laura Fuste

Head of Immigration Department

Mónica Isern López Immigration Lawyer at Lexidy

Mónica Isern López

Immigration Lawyer

Cristina Negro Vizoso

Cristina Negro Vizoso

Immigration Lawyer

Maximiliano Agazzi Paulet immigration Lawyer at Lexidy

Maximiliano Agazzi Paulet

Immigration Lawyer

David Planes Immigration Paralegal at Lexidy

David Planes



Golden Visas Issued


Clients assisted in 2020


Our Score on Google Maps

About us

Lexidy Law Boutique is a modern, dynamic, and innovative law firm. We always put customers at the center of our work and do our best to give an exceptional experience. Our expertise in Spain and Portugal allows us to solve complex problems thoroughly and cut all the risks before they may happen.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Do you need a business license to be self-employed?

If the activity you intend to carry out requires licences, you must obtain them. However, it is not usually necessary to obtain them before applying for a residence permit.

2. Difference between Business Activity Residence Permit and Golden Visa Entrepreneur.

To apply for the Golden Visa Entrepreneur you will have to prove a certain general interest in the Spanish market, to apply for the Business Activity, you will only have to prove the viability of the project.

3. How much national insurance do I pay as self-employed?

During the first years as a self-employed worker in Spain, you will have to pay a fee of approximately 60 euros per month, which will progressively increase to 300 euros per month. 

7. How do I do the business plan?

There are companies specialised in drafting the business plan, we can review and adapt it from the point of view of the permit application but not from the financial or commercial point of view.

Some of the points that the business plan must contain are: Basic data, quantification of the investment and financing plan, planned timetable for implementation.

4. How do I stop being self-employed?

You will just need to de-register from the Tax Agency (form 036) and from the Social Security

5. Is it better to become self-employed or create a company?

The simplest way, if you only want to develop your work for a few clients, without having employees or without the need for a specific establishment, is to become self-employed without setting up a company. However, if your turnover is very high, it is better to set up a company as you will pay less tax on your profits.

6. Do I need to demonstrate financial means?

You will need to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to start your own business according to the business plan and to live in Spain for the first year (7.000 €).

9. How do I renew my business activity residence permit?

You will need to demonstrate that the company is active and functioning. You do not need to demonstrate profits but regular activity.


“After interviewing 7 law firms in Spain, I had the opportunity to spend time on the telephone with Federico Richardson Alborna, a leading attorney at Lexidy. My objective was to find an attorney well versed in all matters of law related to business, property investment and related issues. Federico is not only exceedingly well versed in the law, he is willing to go above-and-beyond to exceed the expectations of the client. This is exceedingly important for a US citizen seeking to better understand the nuances of Spanish law. I am absolutely confident in Federico’s abilities and delighted that he is so responsive and proactive.”

Daniel Davidson Google Reviews

“I asked this law firm for advice on my NIE immigration renewal process and they were amazing! Extremely helpful answering all my questions, reviewing application documents and explaining the process. 5 stars all the way, I will use them again next time.”

“I had a fantastic experience dealing with David, he helped us navigate the messy process beginning to end! Prior to settling on Lexidy, we had reached out to a number of other law firms to help us obtain our NIE/TIE during the messy pre-Brexit-mid-covid19 time. We found that, unlike virtually all other law firms, Lexidy Law Boutique was highly efficient, very quick to respond and above all else helped us obtain our paperwork quickly and pain-free. 

“I contacted Lexidy Barcelona after making the decision to buy some property in Spain. Reading Lexidy’s proposition, including the Google reviews, made me contacting them. At that moment it became clear that they exactly knew what real estate, in the broadest sense, is all about. Besides they made the deal possible during Covid, they also helped me and my American partner getting an NIE, an empadronamiento and helped me out familiarizing myself with the Spanish tax system.”

Paul Bonnike Google Reviews

Leading lawyers in Spain and Portugal you can rely on. Legal assistance in one click.

We are English speaking Spanish lawyers in Spain and Portugal that speak your language. If you would like more information or have any questions on any of our services, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.


Save our contact to your device | +34 932 71 32 61

Scan QR
Lawyers that always here to help Contact us for any legal need

Avinguda Diagonal, 442, 3º 1ª, 08037

Calle Villalar 7, Bajo Izquierda, 28001

Rua Joaquim António de Aguiar n.º 43, RC Esq, 1070-150

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest Immigration, Corporate, Tax, and family news with our legal advices.