Residence for Family Members

Quick and reliable service helping to get a resident card in Spain for your parents, siblings, or partner.

Wish to live together with the family in Spain? Get immigration advice for the EU family members resident card.

Enjoy stressless relocation with our help

What is the Residence card for family members?

You can apply for a Residence and Work permit if you are Non-EU family members of a Spanish citizen or of another country of the European Union. Besides, all non-European family members who wish to reside in Spain for a period of more than three months must apply for it. As a consequence, the residence card for family members of EU citizens will last 5 years.


How to obtain it?

In order to obtain this card, the European citizen who is entitled to apply for this card must demonstrate on behalf of the non-European citizen, sufficient economic means and health coverage. The coverage must be paid either through his/her own means or through work in Spain as an employee for a Spanish company or as a self-employed professional.


The experience of our immigration lawyer can speed up the procedure to obtain an appointment. Since they have information about when the appointments are available, the process will be much faster for you.

Also, our lawyers know the requirements of each Immigration Office in Spain. They can also contact the Immigration Offices in Spain to ask about the specific requirements.

If geographically possible, we can accompany you to the different appointments to solve any setbacks that may occur during the application.

Full assistance in English, French or Italian.

Our Process

  1. Registration with the Town Hall (1 day – 2 weeks)
  2. Gathering your personal documentation (1 day)
  3. Digital submission for the residence permit (1 day)
  4. Approval of the residence permit (up to 3 months)
  5. Appointment at the police station (1 week)
  6. Application for the Foreigner’s Identity Card (TIE) (1 day)
  7. Issuance of the Foreigner’s Identity Card (TIE) (1 month)

Find your Immigration Lawyer

Laura Fusté Immigration Lawyer at Lexidy

Laura Fuste

Head of Immigration Department

Mónica Isern López Immigration Lawyer at Lexidy

Mónica Isern López

Immigration Lawyer

Cristina Negro Vizoso

Cristina Negro Vizoso

Immigration Lawyer

Maximiliano Agazzi Paulet immigration Lawyer at Lexidy

Maximiliano Agazzi Paulet

Immigration Lawyer

David Planes Immigration Paralegal at Lexidy

David Planes


Required documents for Non-EU Family members

Residence for parents and direct relatives
This permit may be requested by the husband or wife of the EU family member as well as by the member of the domestic partner duly accredited by public certificate or sufficient evidence that proves the stable relationship.
Residence for spouse or partner
This permit may be requested by the husband or wife of the EU family member as well as by the member of the domestic partner duly accredited by public certificate or sufficient evidence that proves the stable relationship.
Residence for children
Non-European children (under 21 years of age) may apply for a residence card for EU family members when the economic solvency of the parents is proven.

Messages answered daily


Clients assisted in 2020


Our Score on Google Maps

About us

Lexidy Law Boutique is a modern, dynamic, and innovative law firm. We always put customers at the center of our work and do our best to give an exceptional experience. Our expertise in Spain and Portugal allows us to solve complex problems thoroughly and cut all the risks before they may happen.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. I am the spouse of a European citizen and I have been in Spain for more than 90 days. Can I be expelled from the country?

No, in case you are following the residency application process for the Residence Card for family members of EU Citizens. You will not be expelled from the country unless you commit a serious crime.

2. I have exceeded my 90 days of legal stay in Spain, can I apply for a residence card as a family member of a European citizen?

Yes, you can apply for the Residence Card for family members of EU Citizens even though you have exceeded your legal stay in Spain.

3. Can I travel outside Spain during the application process of the Residence Card for Family members of EU citizens?

If you have overstayed your legal stay in Spain and you have not yet obtained the residence card for European family members, we do not recommend leaving the Schengen zone as you may face problems upon re-entry.

4. Can I apply for the Residence Card for Family members of EU citizens if my boyfriend is a European citizen?

Yes, depending on the region you will be able to become a stable couple before a notary or public official or you will have to prove your stable relationship through evidence (e.g. rental contracts, current bank accounts, Whatsapp conversations, etc.).

5. Can I work in Spain with the Residence Card for Family members of EU citizens?

Yes, in case of approval you will possess a five-year residence and work permit for Spain

6. Do I have to take out medical insurance with coverage in Spain?

In case the entitled EU family member does not work for a Spanish company, both of you must have health insurance coverage in Spain.

7. I am 30 years old Non-EU Citizen and my mother is an EU citizen, can I apply for it?

You must prove your economic dependence on your parents despite your age of majority in order to apply under this regime. One way to do this is by enrolling in a Spanish University.

8. I am an EU citizen and my parents are not, can they apply for the Residence Card for Family members of EU citizens?

You must prove the medical dependency of your parents and that they have been residing at the same address as you for at least two years prior to the application for the permit.

9. Should the European family member entitle to live in Spain?

Yes, in order to apply for the card you must prove that you live in the same domicile as an EU citizen holding an EU Certificate.

10. It is me, the non-EU citizen who has sufficient financial means and not my partner, can I apply with my own means?

We recommend that sufficient economic funds are in an account in the name of the European citizen.

11. Do I need to hold sufficient economic means in a Spanish bank account?

Depending on the place of application, it may be requested that the funds are in a Spanish account and even that they have been in the account for 3 months.


Google Review User

“Laura Fusté and her support team responded to every question and need we had very quickly and thoroughly. We had and continue to have complete confidence in their support and direction. Never once did we feel we were “on our own” to figure out our original residency process, nor our renewal.”

Rebecca del Rio Google Reviews
Google Review user

“I initially went to another lawyer, who showed no interest in assisting at all. Luckily I came across Lexidy, who provided me with a professional, knowledgeable, and very efficient service. Would thoroughly recommend David and his team!”

Google reviews user

“I had a great experience with Lexidy’s Immigration department. They have been very professional and above all, very responsive in answering my queries and dealing with the applications.”

Andreea Pascu Google Reviews
Google review User

“I must give MEGA thanks to Mònica and Max at Lexidy Law Boutique. They were very helpful with a legal matter that I had, answering 60+ emails and patiently explaining to me the various options available to address my needs. They were EXTREMELY responsive, attentive to my needs at every moment, very clear communication, and super helpful.”

Ronda Zelezny-Green Google Reviews

Leading lawyers in Spain and Portugal you can rely on. Legal assistance in one click.

We are English speaking Spanish lawyers in Spain and Portugal that speak your language. If you would like more information or have any questions on any of our services, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.


Save our contact to your device | +34 938 074 056

Scan QR
Lawyers that always here to help Contact us for any legal need

Avinguda Diagonal, 442, 3º 1ª, 08037

Calle Villalar 7, Bajo Izquierda, 28001

Rua Joaquim António de Aguiar n.º 43, RC Esq, 1070-150

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest Immigration, Corporate, Tax, and family news with our legal advices.