Residence for Family Members
Quick and reliable service helping to get a resident card in Spain for your parents, siblings, or partner.
Wish to live together with the family in Spain? Get immigration advice for the EU family members resident card.
Enjoy stressless relocation with our help
What is the Residence card for family members?
You can apply for a Residence and Work permit if you are Non-EU family members of a Spanish citizen or of another country of the European Union. Besides, all non-European family members who wish to reside in Spain for a period of more than three months must apply for it. As a consequence, the residence card for family members of EU citizens will last 5 years.
How to obtain it?
In order to obtain this card, the European citizen who is entitled to apply for this card must demonstrate on behalf of the non-European citizen, sufficient economic means and health coverage. The coverage must be paid either through his/her own means or through work in Spain as an employee for a Spanish company or as a self-employed professional.
HOW CAN A LAWYER HELP ME?
The experience of our immigration lawyer can speed up the procedure to obtain an appointment. Since they have information about when the appointments are available, the process will be much faster for you.
Also, our lawyers know the requirements of each Immigration Office in Spain. They can also contact the Immigration Offices in Spain to ask about the specific requirements.
If geographically possible, we can accompany you to the different appointments to solve any setbacks that may occur during the application.
Full assistance in English, French or Italian.
- Registration with the Town Hall (1 day – 2 weeks)
- Gathering your personal documentation (1 day)
- Digital submission for the residence permit (1 day)
- Approval of the residence permit (up to 3 months)
- Appointment at the police station (1 week)
- Application for the Foreigner’s Identity Card (TIE) (1 day)
- Issuance of the Foreigner’s Identity Card (TIE) (1 month)
Find your Immigration Lawyer
Head of Immigration Department
Mónica Isern López
Cristina Negro Vizoso
Maximiliano Agazzi Paulet
Required documents for Non-EU Family members
Residence for parents and direct relatives
Residence for spouse or partner
Residence for children
Messages answered daily
Clients assisted in 2020
Our Score on Google Maps
Lexidy Law Boutique is a modern, dynamic, and innovative law firm. We always put customers at the center of our work and do our best to give an exceptional experience. Our expertise in Spain and Portugal allows us to solve complex problems thoroughly and cut all the risks before they may happen.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I am the spouse of a European citizen and I have been in Spain for more than 90 days. Can I be expelled from the country?
No, in case you are following the residency application process for the Residence Card for family members of EU Citizens. You will not be expelled from the country unless you commit a serious crime.
2. I have exceeded my 90 days of legal stay in Spain, can I apply for a residence card as a family member of a European citizen?
Yes, you can apply for the Residence Card for family members of EU Citizens even though you have exceeded your legal stay in Spain.
3. Can I travel outside Spain during the application process of the Residence Card for Family members of EU citizens?
If you have overstayed your legal stay in Spain and you have not yet obtained the residence card for European family members, we do not recommend leaving the Schengen zone as you may face problems upon re-entry.
4. Can I apply for the Residence Card for Family members of EU citizens if my boyfriend is a European citizen?
Yes, depending on the region you will be able to become a stable couple before a notary or public official or you will have to prove your stable relationship through evidence (e.g. rental contracts, current bank accounts, Whatsapp conversations, etc.).
5. Can I work in Spain with the Residence Card for Family members of EU citizens?
Yes, in case of approval you will possess a five-year residence and work permit for Spain
6. Do I have to take out medical insurance with coverage in Spain?
In case the entitled EU family member does not work for a Spanish company, both of you must have health insurance coverage in Spain.
7. I am 30 years old Non-EU Citizen and my mother is an EU citizen, can I apply for it?
You must prove your economic dependence on your parents despite your age of majority in order to apply under this regime. One way to do this is by enrolling in a Spanish University.
8. I am an EU citizen and my parents are not, can they apply for the Residence Card for Family members of EU citizens?
You must prove the medical dependency of your parents and that they have been residing at the same address as you for at least two years prior to the application for the permit.
9. Should the European family member entitle to live in Spain?
Yes, in order to apply for the card you must prove that you live in the same domicile as an EU citizen holding an EU Certificate.
10. It is me, the non-EU citizen who has sufficient financial means and not my partner, can I apply with my own means?
We recommend that sufficient economic funds are in an account in the name of the European citizen.
11. Do I need to hold sufficient economic means in a Spanish bank account?
Depending on the place of application, it may be requested that the funds are in a Spanish account and even that they have been in the account for 3 months.
“Laura Fusté and her support team responded to every question and need we had very quickly and thoroughly. We had and continue to have complete confidence in their support and direction. Never once did we feel we were “on our own” to figure out our original residency process, nor our renewal.”
“I initially went to another lawyer, who showed no interest in assisting at all. Luckily I came across Lexidy, who provided me with a professional, knowledgeable, and very efficient service. Would thoroughly recommend David and his team!”
“I had a great experience with Lexidy’s Immigration department. They have been very professional and above all, very responsive in answering my queries and dealing with the applications.”
“I must give MEGA thanks to Mònica and Max at Lexidy Law Boutique. They were very helpful with a legal matter that I had, answering 60+ emails and patiently explaining to me the various options available to address my needs. They were EXTREMELY responsive, attentive to my needs at every moment, very clear communication, and super helpful.”
Leading lawyers in Spain and Portugal you can rely on. Legal assistance in one click.
We are English speaking Spanish lawyers in Spain and Portugal that speak your language. If you would like more information or have any questions on any of our services, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.
Save our contact to your device
firstname.lastname@example.org | +34 938 074 056
Avinguda Diagonal, 442, 3º 1ª, 08037
Calle Villalar 7, Bajo Izquierda, 28001
Rua Joaquim António de Aguiar n.º 43, RC Esq, 1070-150