EU Certificate in Spain

Just moved to Spain as EU Citizen? Get quick and reliable service for obtaining EU Certificate in Spain.

Request assistance with EU Certificate

Wish to live in Spain for more than 90 days? We help you to get your EU certification the fastest way.

Enjoy stressless relocation to Spain

What is EU Certificate?

EU certificate (Certificado de registro de ciudadano de la UE) is a required registration for all European citizens who wish to live in Spain for a period of more than 3 months. National Police issues the certificate and gives the right to legally reside in Spain for citizens of the EU, EEA and Switzerland. 

A Registration Certificate as an EU Resident certifies residence in Spain and includes the holder’s name, address, nationality, and foreigners tax identification number (Número de Identificación de Extranjero – NIE) along with the date of registration to get the Certificate.

Once you receive the document, there will not be a need for renewal at any time. Unless you wish to apply for permanent residency after 5 years. This process does not require getting a police clearance certificate or a medical certificate.

Example of EU Certificate

Example of EU certificate


As it commonly happens, it may take up to three weeks to get an appointment on your own. However, the experience of our immigration lawyers can speed up the process to get an appointment since they have information about when the appointments are available.

Although there are standards for each police station and each region has specific requirements (bank certificate, bank statements of the last 3 to 12 months, registration with the Town Hall, etc.), Our lawyers know the requirements and help to avoid extra time. We can also contact the police stations to ask about the specific requirements.

If geographically possible, we can accompany you to the appointment to solve any difficulties that may occur during the application. Besides, we prove full assistance in English, French or Italian.

Get EU Certificate in less than 10 days

  1. Registration with the Town Hall (1 day – 2 weeks, since an appointment obtained)
  2. Gathering your documentation (1 – 3 days)
  3. Appointment at the police station (1 week)
  4. Application (1 day)
  5. Obtainment of the EU Certificate (1 day, the same day of the application)

How to obtain EU Certificate in Spain?

Within three months of arrival in Spain, you must apply for a Certificate at the Foreigner’s Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) or a local police station in the province of planned residence. Due to the limited number of appointments, it is important to make it in advance.

If all paperwork is in order, Police will issue EU Certificate immediately. However, you have to inform relevant police or foreigner’s office with any change to personal status (marriage, divorce, change of address). You can make it by using the same form EX18 and presenting the documents that certify this change of status.

Required document for EU certificate

For Employed or Self-employed

  • An employment contract or proof of registration for social security.

For Students

  • The proof of enrolment in public or private academic institution or professional education. 
  • Health insurance that covers all risks in Spain or EHIC card.
  • Proof of sufficient economic means (bank certificates or statements) or sworn affidavit declaring having sufficient funds.

For Business owners

  • Proof of Registration with the Census of Economic Activities.
  • In case of being the administrator of a company, proof of registration with the Mercantile Registry.
  • Proof of registration with the Spanish Social Security

For Other residents

  • The proof of sufficient economic means (bank certificate or statements depending on the region).
  • Health insurance covering the whole territory of Spain, with coverage equivalent to that provided by the national health system.

Who can apply for EU Certificate:

Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Romania, Sweden, Switzerland

Find your Immigration Lawyer

Laura Fusté Immigration Lawyer at Lexidy

Laura Fuste

Head of Immigration Department

Mónica Isern López Immigration Lawyer at Lexidy

Mónica Isern López

Immigration Lawyer

Cristina Negro Vizoso

Cristina Negro Vizoso

Immigration Lawyer

Maximiliano Agazzi Paulet immigration Lawyer at Lexidy

Maximiliano Agazzi Paulet

Immigration Lawyer

David Planes Immigration Paralegal at Lexidy

David Planes



Messages answered daily


Clients assisted in 2020


Our Score on Google Maps

About us

Lexidy Law Boutique is a modern, dynamic, and innovative law firm. We always put customers at the center of our work and do our best to give an exceptional experience. Our expertise in Sapin and Portugal allows us to solve complex problems thoroughly and cut all the risks before they may happen.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How many days can EU citizen stay in Spain?

An EU Citizen can stay in Spain 90 days out of 180 as a tourist. However, if they want to stay more than that, they may register as EU citizens residing in Spain and obtain the EU Certificate.

2. Can UK citizen apply for the certificate after Brexit?

Yes, indeed, all EU citizens can apply for the EU Certificate after Brexit with normality as usual. 

British citizens residing in Spain before Brexit may also apply under the EU regime but they will need to prove their regular residence during 2020 or before. If not they will need to follow the general regime and apply from their home country.

3. How can I remain an EU citizen after Brexit?

If you are a British citizen and you have applied for the residence permit before Brexit you can remain in Spain without any further formalities. If you did not register as a British citizen residing in Spain before Brexit you will need to apply for a regular residence permit in your home country.

4. Who qualifies as an EU citizen?

Citizens of member countries of the European Union, as well as citizens of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland, can apply for the EU Certificate.

5. Can EU citizen apply for Spanish national insurance number?

As a European citizen, you can obtain a social security number and receive basic health care in Spain.

6. Can I use my driving license in Spain?

You can only have one European driving license at a time. Therefore, if you move to another EU country, you will normally not have to exchange your license. However, if you wish, you can exchange it voluntarily for an equivalent license in your new country of residence.

7. Do I need NIE or TIE if I am a European citizen?

When applying for an EU Certificate, you will be granted an NIE at the moment. The EU Certificate is the equivalent document for EU Citizens of the TIE.

8. Do I need to hire a private health insurance policy if Spain Universal health exists?

In case you are not working for a Spanish company or as a self-employed or obtain a certificate of registration with the social security in your country (E106, E109, E12…), you will need to hire a private health insurance.


Google Review User

“Laura Fusté and her support team responded to every question and need we had very quickly and thoroughly. We had and continue to have complete confidence in their support and direction. Never once did we feel we were “on our own” to figure out our original residency process, nor our renewal.”

Rebecca del Rio Google Reviews
Google Review user

“I initially went to another lawyer, who showed no interest in assisting at all. Luckily I came across Lexidy, who provided me with a professional, knowledgeable, and very efficient service. Would thoroughly recommend David and his team!”

Google reviews user

“I had a great experience with Lexidy’s Immigration department. They have been very professional and above all, very responsive in answering my queries and dealing with the applications.”

Andreea Pascu Google Reviews
Google review User

“I must give MEGA thanks to Mònica and Max at Lexidy Law Boutique. They were very helpful with a legal matter that I had, answering 60+ emails and patiently explaining to me the various options available to address my needs. They were EXTREMELY responsive, attentive to my needs at every moment, very clear communication, and super helpful.”

Ronda Zelezny-Green Google Reviews

Leading lawyers in Spain and Portugal you can rely on. Legal assistance in one click.

We are English speaking Spanish lawyers in Spain and Portugal that speak your language. If you would like more information or have any questions on any of our services, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.


Save our contact to your device | +34 938 074 056

Scan QR
Lawyers that always here to help Contact us for any legal need

Avinguda Diagonal, 442, 3º 1ª, 08037

Calle Villalar 7, Bajo Izquierda, 28001

Rua Joaquim António de Aguiar n.º 43, RC Esq, 1070-150

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest Immigration, Corporate, Tax, and family news with our legal advices.